Let the BLM Know You Support More Trails at Horsethief
The Bureau of Land Management is actively making plans for the future of Horsethief Mesa. They need to hear from you now!
In short, click over to the BLM Comment Page to submit your input.
Once on the page headlined “Horsethief Mesa Travel Management Plan,” click on the menu item labeled “Documents” on the left-hand side. This will bring up the five proposals for Horsethief, including the Enchanted Circle Trails Association plan.
Please submit your support for our plan there to:
- Urge the adoption of the entire ECTA/TMBA Conceptual Plan into the Horsethief Mesa Management Plan
- Urge the BLM to address the increased local demand for inclusive, purpose built trails for a variety of skill levels and experiences.
- Urge the development of sufficient trailhead facilities to meet the demand for legal and safe parking
Last year, the BLM contracted the Enchanted Circle Trails Association to develop a Conceptual Trails Plan for the Horsethief Mesa area to help meet the growing demand for a comprehensive multi-user trail network in Northern New Mexico. TMBA and other community volunteers spent hundreds of hours helping ECTA plan and ground-truth what has the potential to be a first-class recreational trail network.
The Conceptual Trails Plan adds 24.5 miles of new multi-use trail to the Horesthief area, providing a variety of skill level and technical challenges, including flow style trails, technical rock sections and a 1-mile beginner loop suitable for Striders and those just getting into the sport of mountain biking.
You can find a presentation of the the Conceptual Trail Plan that TMBA helped ECTA develop here: https://prezi.com/view/ugXj5QsRCC1WBOPsNbxP/
For a PDF version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JWhv9GHExR6RGjANBjmljePpkQZ9w_IJ/view (The trails plan begins on slide #12)
To make this a reality, we encourage you to click the “Participate Now” button next to the ECTA Trails Proposal link and enter your comments in the page that pops up.
Here’s a few sample comments (Feel free to use these for your personal input, but it will go a little further if you add some individual thoughts of your own as well):
- I would like to see the ECTA/TMBA plan adopted in its entirety.
- I would like to see more purpose-built mountain bike trails that adhere to GQTE (Guidelines for a Quality Trail Experience), including features to enhance my recreational experience as a mountain biker, as well as the experiences of other users.
- I would like sufficient trailhead facilities, including legal and convenient parking, toilets, camping areas and information kiosks.
Thank you for taking an active role in helping get more trails developed in Taos!